15 September 2012

The Avengers (2012)


Not to be too much of a fangirl about it, but Joss Whedon's work is pretty great.  I remember watching the original Buffy movie any time I had a sleepover with my friends as a teenager.  Then when I heard that there was going to be a TV show, years later, I counted down the minutes until the first episode.  I faithfully watched and recorded every show (I still have the collection of VHS) and, as it was moved to later and later timeslots, I enlisted my father to carry on the taping for me (though once I got a TV of my own, I'd sneakily watch it anyway in the middle of the night).
This loyalty carried on to Angel when it started.  Then Firefly came, and I was skeptical, plus it screened at 1am on a school night in Australia, so I only got around to seeing that on DVD before going to see Serenity, and I wished I'd seen it sooner.  Dollhouse took a few episodes to convince me, but convince me it did.  And don't get me started on The Cabin In The Woods...  I'll talk about that when I get to it in this project (which I am planning to time precisely to coincide with the DVD release so I can include it).

Anyone who is a fan of Joss Whedon has absolute trust in any project he takes on, occasionally blindly so.  But in our defense, we're yet to be given a reason why we shouldn't.
Thankfully, The Avengers continued his trend of quality products.
It's oh so fun.  
There was a lot of pressure, poor guy, because they've been setting up for this film for a long time, what with all the individual hero movies to introduce us to the characters.

I don't really feel qualified enough to comment much on the characters themselves, not having read the comic books.  But I will say two things:
The last two incarnations of the Hulk have been so tortured - it's really nice to see the character romp around and have (violent) fun.  I'm not an authority on the Hulk, but for me think that's why it works.
And, as an Aussie, I love how good Chris Hemsworth is as Thor.

Final Thought:  Stan Lee's cameos just get better and better.

Up Next: Babe (1995)

No comments: