25 March 2015

The Darjeeling Limited (2007)


It's disconcerting when I reach the movies in my collection that I'm not sure why I own them.  When it comes to this film, I could recall watching it and being surprised by it, but as I began my viewing this time around, I couldn't recall what that surprise was, or even if it was a pleasant one.

And, for the first hour or so of the film, I remained mystified as to why it was in my collection.

I can't quite decide how I feel about Wes Anderson.  While his films are visually very pretty, they tend to depict a very privileged form of suffering in a way that fast becomes irritating to me.

And so I sat watching this film, wondering why I was doing this to myself.  Why had I bought this?  Owen Wilson bugs me, why did I buy this?  This is all so forced, why did I buy this?  This is taking itself too seriously, it's pretentious, why did I buy this?

And then the moment at the river and everything changed.  The movie became peaceful.  We see why the brothers behave the way they do, the lost children that they are, trying to be grown up.  We forgive them for being so lost.

And then I understood why I bought this film.

Final Thought:  I really did enjoy the MacGuffin of Bill Murray's appearance though.

Up NextThe Dark Knight (2008)

No comments: