17 November 2012

The Bandwagon (1953)



I know this film back to front.  I have no idea how many times I've seen it.  It's not one of Fred Astaire's better known films, in fact it's toward the end of his career as a dancer.  For some reason though, of all the films that my father showed me from the Astaire catalogue, I watched this one more times than any other.  I love the behind-the-scenes nature of it, and the in-jokes (such as the digs about Charisse's height or Astaire's career).

Astaire was in his early 50s when this film was made, and as a result his dance numbers are more on the restrained side.  That's not to say that they're lacking in style or class, not by a long shot.  It's odd I guess that my favourite Astaire movie isn't one that really showcases what he's known for.

Whenever I watched this film with my father, he'd be in raptures over the "Dancing In The Dark" number.  And "Shiny Shoes" is a joy, and the closest in style to a young Astaire.  The shoe shiner in that number was apparently a real life shoe shiner, known for his rhythmical technique, and my father always wished to see more of him.  And I just can't take my eyes off Nanette Fabray.  To me, vaudeville trained performers were incredibly engaging, in a very particular way that you don't see much in modern films.  Their style wouldn't really suit modern film, to be fair, but there's something so refreshing about it that I wish it was more common today.


Final Thought:  At the time of writing this, The Bandwagon is available on DVD in Australia, but, despite my searching, I can't find ANY of the Astaire/Rogers catalogue.  They were released on VHS when I was a kid, but I don't understand why I can't get them anywhere today on DVD.  It's beyond frustrating.

Up Next:  Basil, The Great Mouse Detective (1986)

No comments: