30 December 2012

Be Kind Rewind (2008)


Something didn't quite sit well with me the first time I saw this film.  Maybe my expectations were skewed, as I loved Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, and I expected to love Be Kind Rewind just as much.  Maybe I just didn't really pay attention to what I was watching (I think I remember wandering around my room as it was playing).  But there was something about it that wasn't what I hoped it to be.

Watching it for the second time, however, was very different.  For one thing, I now actually know who Fats Waller was, and that heightened my interest.  I enjoyed hearing his music dotted throughout the film.  I feel privileged that I can recognise the songs and it made me feel more affectionate to the film.

I like it when that happens, when you enjoy something more the second time around.  It's like you weren't ready for it the first time around and it had to wait until you were in the right place.  It leaves me wondering whether I'll enjoy The Science Of Sleep more the second time I watch it as well...

Final Thought:  If you watch this on DVD, in the special features there is footage of Mos Def singing Fats Waller's songs in Paris.  Watch it.  It's only 6 minutes but it's great.

Up Next:  Beauty And The Beast (1991)

No comments: