06 October 2013

Center Stage (2000)



 In the year 2000, Center Stage and Coyote Ugly were both released cinematically, and though neither were brilliant films, they captured the attention of my circle of friends.  We saw each of these movies at the cinema multiple times.  I couldn't even tell you why, to be honest, but we just kept going back.

 Center Stage, while showcasing some rather unimpressive acting, is admirable for casting actual dancers.  My two major peeves in cinema are musical instruments being played with blatantly wrong technique (see August Rush) and terrible dancing being portrayed as great dancing (see The Artist).  So in this instance, I am more than willing to forgive bad acting for the sake of seeing ballet danced properly.

Final Thought: Despite the multiple times I have seen this film, my memory of it pales in comparison to The Seamstress.  She can quote this word for word.

Up Next:  Champions (1992)

No comments: