29 September 2013

The Cat Returns (2002)


I bought this film without having seen it, purely because it was Studio Ghibli.  It was at a time when I was buying a Ghibli film a week, and my decisions were based entirely on the DVD cover.  I didn't realise at the time that The Cat Returns wasn't made by Hayao Miyazaki himself, so sadly it isn't quite of the same calibre of the Miyazaki's films.  That said, it's still a lovely, peaceful little film.

It beats you about the head with the moral a bit, but I can forgive that in a Ghibli film for some reason.  The thing with these films is that I feel like I can't look away.  Not because the plot is complicated and I might miss something, but because they're just so visually stunning that I'd hate to miss anything.

Final Thought:  The soundtrack is oddly jovial in moments of upset.

Up Next:  Centre Stage (2000)

No comments: