04 February 2014

Charade (1963)


Charade is so much more fun than I remember.  I haven't watched it in my adult life before.  I had completely forgotten about most of the comedy elements of this film, so watching it was a delight.  As a kid, I must have thought it a much more serious movie, and yet I remember the shower-in-a-suit moment in perfect detail.  I was so fascinated by all the parts I'd forgotten that I'm actually left with not much to say about it.  Just wonderful.

I've found, when it comes to classic films, that I'm sometimes left wondering what it is about them that earned them that status.  For example, Breakfast At Tiffany's didn't appeal to my tastes, and, other than the fashion, I do wonder a little at how it became as exalted as it is.  I think I need to sit down with someone who loves it and listen to why they feel that way.
To me though, Charade is definitely a classic.

Final Thought:  Nobody wears clothes as well as Hepburn and Grant.  Nobody.  I spent half the film wondering how Hepburn managed to look so good in what she was wearing.

Up Next:  Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (2012)

No comments: