01 March 2014

Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away (2012)


I think you need to approach this film as a piece of art that you watch.  This isn't a film you seek out when you want an in depth plot, or even a plot that makes sense.  The plot exists in the same way it does in an old school musical; as a means of leading from one production number to the next.  If anything, the plot is even thinner than those of musicals.

That isn't necessarily a criticism.  If you watch this film with that in mind, you won't feel that you've missed out on anything.  And sometimes I need movies like that.  A pure, escapist, visual treat.  Certainly, if the focus had been the plot, something very interesting could have been created.  And I'm sure I would have loved to see it.  But the point of this movie is that it's a showcase of Cirque du Soleil acts from their Las Vegas shows.  And I'm fine with that, when that's what I'm in the mood to see.  And tonight, I was.

Final Thought:  I'm jealous of her umbrella boat.

Up Next:  Closer (2004)

No comments: