22 May 2014

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 (2013)


The characters are what make these films work for me.  They appeal to my sense of humour.  They really do strike the perfect balance between emotion and the ludicrous in a way that works for me.  That said, I only went to see this film thanks to the good feelings engendered by its predecessor, and I wouldn't say that it was in the same league.  It was great at the time, because it had been a while since I'd seen the one before it.  But re-watching the original film confirmed to me my preference for it over this sequel.

Mainly, I think I find the villain in Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 a bit of a... hassle.  I think that's the best word for it.  Rather than providing impetus for the plot, I feel like he gets in the way of it.  And that goes twofold for his orangutan sidekick.  The first film only needed the villain to be a vague idea in the background; the entertainment came from watching the characters reacting and dealing with consequences.  The villain in this film tried to steal the show from the main characters too much for my liking, making this film the lesser film.  But what do I know?  The Bassist says he prefers this one to the original (though he did see this one first).

Final Thought:  "There's a leek in the boat" makes me laugh every. single. time.

Up Next:  Clueless (1995) 

No comments: