20 April 2014

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (2009)


This film was a real surprise to me in how good it was.  From the title, it seemed like such a stupid film.  And it is, but in a wonderful way.
I love animation, so there's a lot of animated films that I'll watch as a gamble, and this was one of them.  I fell in love from it right from the start, at the moment they introduced of spray on shoes.  And I kept loving it, because there's so many delightful little side moments in this film.  You have to keep watching so you don't miss something.  Not to mention the fact that Steve is one of the greatest sidekicks ever.

Even though this film is a ludicrous idea, it's tempered by Flint's dad, who they've made such a touching character - hairy and gruff but well meaning.  And they deftly set the poignancy of this relationship early in the film and thereby give some sort of vague purpose to why Flint behaves as he does.

I think this film works for me because it embraces what it is and then takes it just a little bit further.  It leaves me teary (because I'm a sap, apparently) and jubilant (because Yay Animation!), which is just great.

Final Thought:  What's distressing is that Baby Brent reminds me of someone I know, and I can't figure out who...

Up Next:  Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 (2013)

No comments: