05 May 2009

Nostalgic

For the last two years I've been meaning to gather some things from my parents' house. Two days ago I finally got around to it.


This rainbow of 72 coloured pencils was one of my prized possessions as a kid. I assumed that I'd brought them with me when I left home, until last week, when it was suddenly essential for me to do some colouring and I discovered that they were nowhere to be found.


I miss having animals around. I'd love to have a pet dog, but the way my life is at the moment, that wouldn't be fair on the dog. I'd love to have a cat, but I'm allergic. A mouse is too small to cuddle. So last year I decided that getting a rabbit would be a brilliant idea (and, since then, my friends haven't heard the end of it). For lack of a real rabbit at the moment, I retrieved Monica, one of my favourite childhood toys.


I haven't touched my violin for over ten years. I've always loved it as an instrument, but unfortunately I resented the part where I had to practice and be assessed on my playing. I've been meaning to start playing again for a long time. Now that I actually have my violin, that should be easier to accomplish.

The interesting thing is, for quite a while I considered myself to have grown out of these things. So it wasn't supposed to matter that I'd left them behind. I haven't missed them, but now that I have them again, I feel a bit more like myself. They were such an integral part of my growing up. Their presence is comforting.

No comments: