30 July 2012

A Life Less Ordinary (1997)



I've no idea how I came across this film to begin with.  Absolutely no idea.  But Ewan McGregor sings in it, and that is often a good thing.  I'm starting to wonder how often he is hired for this capability of his, and how often he just might throw it in there.

The Bassist joined me in watching this, and not long in to it he asked me whether it was meant to be a comedy.  He did chuckle quite a few times, but at the end of it I was left wondering how comedic it was intended to be.  It's not obnoxiously funny, it just has some enjoyable lines.  And a very amusing montage of attempted ransom calls.

Neither McGregor nor Diaz were overly famous when this was made, which again leaves me wondering how I found it.  Perhaps it was on TV at some point.  The reason I'm trying to recall is that at the moment it feels like I've just always happened to have this movie in my collection, which obviously isn't the case.  I just don't remember seeing it for the first time, nor deciding it would be worth purchasing, nor hunting it down on VHS and I can't even remember the last time I watched it.  But I have seen it that many times that I was giggling at moments before they were about to occur (resulting in quizzical glances from The Bassist).


I guess it's just melded in to my teenage experience somehow.


Final Thought:  Ian Holm and Stanley Tucci are fascinating, chameleon-esque actors.


Up Next:  All Dogs Go To Heaven (1991)

No comments: