07 July 2012

Aladdin (1992)



This is a Disney film that I know for certain I watched over and over again as a kid.  This may have been the first Disney film I saw at the cinema, I'm not sure.  The VHS is stored under my couch.  I bought the soundtrack.  I memorised all the lyrics.  I even memorised the opening monologue and several of the scenes.  I have since, somehow, misplaced that soundtrack CD, which is incredibly disappointing.

It's hard to imagine what this movie would have been like without Robin Williams as the Genie.  I remember watching a couple of episodes of the spin off TV series one Saturday morning, and being tremendously disappointed.  It just wasn't the same without Robin Williams.   Any actor who took on the role after him was stuck trying to imitate what he did, which rarely succeeds.
This film sparked the trend for using big name actors to provide voices for animated films, thanks to the great job that Williams did.  However, it quickly devolved to be based solely on the actor being popular, rather than their being a talented voice artist.  I've ranted about this already, and possibly will again,  because it's such a shame.  Decent voice actors are so skilled, and the lack of that skill can make an animated film really bland to me.  Without subtlety and nuance in the voice, the character just can't be convincing.  In this case, obviously Robin Williams was a big drawcard, and no one could have played the Genie like him, but he was a factor of a film that was already so good.  It falls apart when they start relying on the names to bolster a film that has a poor script and lazy animation.  The voice work should enhance the story, not distract from it.


It's a severe pet peeve of mine, and I can't help but get frustrated about it.


Final Thought: Hooray for animal sidekicks who can't talk but totally sound like they can.


Up Next:  Alice In Wonderland (1951)

No comments: