13 March 2014

Closer (2004)


The first time I watched this film, it left me shattered.  This is not a film to see when you've just broken up with someone.  Though, if that is the situation in which you see this film, it is cathartic through the emotional turmoil.  I don't think I knew very much about it when I first watched it, so the emotional impact it had on me was a shock.  The effect has lessened with subsequent viewings, as I know what to expect, but I still find it fascinating to watch.  
The script is stunning.  My university drama society staged the original play around the same time, and unfortunately it didn't come close to this film.  The acting is fantastic, and it's such a relief that they had the original playwright adapt it for the screen.

Final Thought:  "Natalie Portman does a pretty impressive split" is a thought that occurs to me every time I watch this.

Up Next:  Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (2009)

No comments: