19 June 2012

500 Days Of Summer


I made The Bassist come with me to see this film at the cinema.  He didn't like it.  At all.  I've watched a couple of times since, and each time I end up wondering whether I like it as well.

I think my main issue is that I can't get past the fact that I find the character of Summer incredibly unlikeable.  I know that you're not supposed to warm to her a great deal, as she does our hero wrong, but I get stuck wondering why he's so infatuated with her in the first place.  This film is tagged as a romantic comedy but I don't think that's accurate.  You're watching someone allow himself to be toyed with and I get so frustrated that he just takes it.
But then I think, that happens.  People have toxic relationships where they are used, all the while thinking that everything will work out if they are patient.  Often friends are stuck in a position just like those in this film - waiting for someone they care about to finally understand that they need to get out of an unfair situation.  So I guess this film is realistic in that way.  The trouble is that it was advertised as a romantic comedy, when it really isn't in the traditional sense.

While watching it, I wondered why I'd bought it, to be honest.  My discomfort with the film is pretty solidly focused on the fact that I can't stand Summer, and I reckon the creator intended me to feel that way to a degree.  
Apart from that character, I find the film interesting.  I like the way it is put together and I like the little touches like the dance number and the French film dream sequence and Expectations vs Reality.  So, if you can put aside any frustrations with Summer, which I really, really try to do... 

Final Thought:  The saving grace for this film for me is Tom's sister.  She's blunt and honest and more mature than anyone else in the film.  Is that possibly a deliberate comment on the rest of the characters?

Up Next:  The Abyss (1989) (Special Edition) 


No comments: