12 August 2012

Almost Famous (2000)



Whatever it was that I expected when I first watched this film, what I saw was completely different.  I recall having quite low expections, and the reason why escapes me.  So I was so surprised when I loved it.

I think it would have been very easy to tell this story using a narrator, as the film does lend itself to that device, and I am so glad that they didn't go that way.  It would have ruined the subtlety of many moments and detracted from the spirit of many of the characters.

I love it when a film or a piece of music evokes memories and feelings of a particular time in your life.  What I find interesting is when music or a movie evokes feelings that you can't quite place.  Feelings or a frame of mind that are familiar, and moving, but the memory of the related experience is lost.  Almost Famous is one such film that does this for me.  It takes me back to the place I was when I first saw it, but I don't actually know where that was.

Final Thought:  This movie makes me want to go on a road trip.

Up Next:   Amelie (2001)

No comments: