26 August 2012

Any Questions For Ben? (2012)



After watching this film, The Bassist commented that it wouldn't have worked if the actors had been American.  The idea that Australians are laidback and don't take themselves too seriously is a stereotypical one, but it's very true.  And in a well made Aussie film, particularly in those by Working Dog, that is often the central feature of the film which makes the entire thing work.
Had this film been made in the American rom-com fashion, the entire premise could easily have been too trite.  Guy has existential crisis and falls for girl, whatever.  It needs that easygoing manner in order to not set your teeth on edge.

Josh Lawson's character reminds me very strongly of a dear friend of mine, so much so that the first thing I did after seeing this movie originally was to contact said friend and tell him as much.  I received a rather bemused reply.  I should check whether my friend has seen this movie yet in fact.
And Rachael Taylor is just plain wonderful.  She's just so damn likeable, without resorting to being "adorable" or "kooky" or "clumsily cute" or any of those other slots that many female actors seem to unfortunately be allotted.  She's intelligently likeable and relaxed, and there need to be more women in the movies like her.
Basically what I'm saying is that I'm a fan of the Aussie talent that is showcased in this film and I hope they do great things.  The cast is ace.

I remembered liking this film in the cinema, but, despite it coming out so recently, I wasn't sure just how much I liked it, so buying it was a bit of a gamble.  I'm glad I did.

Final Thought:  I went to the same uni at Felicity Ward.  She was bloody funny back then too.

Up Next:  The Aristocats (1970) 

No comments: