29 August 2012

The Aristocats (1970)



Yet another glorious Disney animated film.  All it took for me to convince The Bassist to watch it with me was to describe it as "They're cats who play jazz."  As a cat loving musician, he didn't need to hear much else.

As a kid, I had a cassette tape compilation of Disney songs, which I think is largely responsible for my assumption as an adult that I had seen a lot of Disney movies that I in fact had not.  I would listen to that tape over and over again, and I knew the words to all the songs.   "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat" was on there, and it was by far my favourite.  That song is why I told The Bassist he should watch this film with me, and afterwards, the first thing he commented on was the score.  So many of the classic Disney movies have wonderful music, both featured and incidental.

To be honest, I was surprised at how much The Bassist enjoyed this film.  I had expected him to tap his toes along with "Everybody Wants To Be A Cat" (which he did), but that was about it.  However, he chuckled at all of the little jokes, debated why dogs in France sounded like they came from the Deep South, and got frustrated at little Marie for constantly ending up in peril. 
I didn't anticipate his getting so involved.  He promptly fell asleep afterwards.

Final Thought:  Seriously, Marie, stop falling off things.  You're a cat for chrissakes.

Up Next:  The Artist (2011)

1 comment:

Justine said...

Whoa! Am having major flashback to owning ones of those Disney record players by Fisher Price or someone like that and playing "Everybody Wants to be..." and also songs from The Jungle Book when I was about 4. The 70s rock :-)