01 September 2013

The Cabin In The Woods (2012)


It's a bit too general to say that I don't like horror films.  I don't quite know how to explain my relationship with them.  I can't stand gore, so that rules out a majority of them.  Some friends once decided that I simply had to see one of the Saw films, and I spent pretty much the entire movie with my face buried in to the couch.  I still haven't forgiven them for that.

And yet... when a horror film is witty and thrilling and clever and suspenseful, I can't help but be lured in.  It's terrible, but I can't help myself.

The Cabin In The Woods is the perfect example of the sort of horror film that I can't resist.  It's written by Joss Whedon, so there's that.  It confuses you because you'll simultaneously want to squeal in fear and laugh hysterically, and you just don't have enough breath for both, so you end up wheezing in a confused fashion.

The best thing about this film is that I went to see it with no knowledge beyond the fact that it was written by Whedon.  This film is more glorious the less you know about it the first time you see it.
Seeing The Cabin In The Woods also coincided with my first visit to the Astor Theatre in Melbourne - a wonderful movie theatre that is a must for film buffs.  The Astor Theatre loves film.  And you couldn't ask for a better audience to experience this movie for the first time.  We jumped in fright and laughed in relief as one.  At one particularly tense, silent moment in the film, an audience member loudly knocked over their drink, causing nervous titters from all present, which quickly turned to shrieks as we were startled.

Final Thought:  This is one of a handful of films that, as soon as I've watched it, I instantly want to watch it all over again.  Seriously.  Right now, writing this, I want to watch it, but that would be a horrible mistake because it's the middle of the night and I'll get spooked and The Bassist isn't nearby and I'm alone and vulnerable and I'll end up having to lock my bedroom door and nervously watch episodes of some inane sitcom until I manage to get to sleep.
But it's so good...

Up Next:  Can't Hardly Wait (1998)

No comments: