21 September 2013

The Cat From Outer Space (1978)


One of my first jobs growing up was at my local video store, at the time that the shift from VHS to DVD was happening.  I watched as our shelves shifted from being mainly filled with videos to gradually being overrun by DVDs.  And one of the great things about my video store was that they purchased all sorts movies.  Not just the popular ones that would bring in money, but also those that regulars might want.  So our collection was huge.  You could find anything there.  Despite this, my video store went out of business.  A new, profit focussed chain store opened up down the road not long after, and they built up their catalogue by buying the one that my childhood store had painstakingly collected.  Cheaters.

I realised, after a couple of years, that many of my favourite films from my childhood weren't likely to end up on DVD, so if I ever wanted to see them again, I'd need to hunt them down on VHS from my childhood video store's original collection.  Since many of these films were a little obscure and not exactly profitable, the new video store would easily sell them.  And that is how I ended up with the very same VHS copy of The Cat From Outer Space that I had watched dozens of times as a young child.  So many times that I can even remember the melody of each line of dialogue in the trailers preceding the movie.
I'm not even sure what specifically it was that drew me to this film so much, other than the fact that there was an anthropomorphised cat in it.  But I was possibly the only person who ever hired this from my local store.

Strangely enough, 4 years or so in to our friendship, I randomly mentioned this film in conversation with one of my closest friends, only to have her respond enthusiastically, much to my surprise.  I have never met anyone else who has seen this movie.  We decided to watch it together, but ended up dozing off.
As an adult, it kinda drags a little.  But it's so familiar and comfortable and silly.  A cat.  From outer space.  With a glowing collar that allows him to communicate with humans.  Who else would come up with such a thing but Disney in the 70s.


Final Thought:  The protaganists in these sort of films have a tendency to be conveniently accepting of the circumstances into which they are thrust.  If they wasted too much time with skepticism, the film couldn't move forward.  Alien cat with a magical collar?  Sure, I'll help you break in to an army base.  ...Seriously??

Up Next:  The Cat Returns (2002)

No comments: